Sunday, April 19, 2009

Animal Farm

I am supposed to use Animal Farm as my Language Arts textbook for this term. I think that it is a wonderful book as it really expresses Orwell's feelings about Communism. A socialist, he dislikes communism but isn't that much of a fan of capitalism either. According to my teacher, on a scale of 1 to 10 with capitalism at 1, socialism would be around 2-4 and Communism would be like 20. I do think that communism would be good if it were possible, but due to human nature it is not likely to happen. Thus, socialism is our best bet for the moment. Vietnam is a possible real-life occurance of the events of Animal Farm, where the people of a country throw down their oppressors and form a new nation, fighting difficult battles along the way. However, the negative aspects such as a power-hungry leader tyrannising over his own kind and betraying the concept of animalism/communism.

The other, more blatantly obvious example of Animal Farm is of course, Russia. Almost every character in Animal Farm has a counterpart in the Russian Revolution, which caused many people to consider Animal Farm a direct attack at the russians. In my opinion, though, it is only to make people think about how communism eventually fails. Nevertheless, I still believe that a true Communist state is possible, although unlikely.

No comments:

Post a Comment