Saturday, June 27, 2009

[s]Swine flu[/s] H1N1 flu

If you aren't living in Antarctica, you should know about the H1N1 Flu, originally called Swine Flu. Apparently it was renamed because some companies thought people would stop eating pork if they thought swines had the flu. Yeah, right, like most people could associate the word "swine" with "pork" without references or a picture.

Unfortunately, Singapore already has its cases of flu and indeed, there are more than 300 already. I applaud the first case and her boyfriend, who had enough common sense to prevent rapid spread of the virus. The patient went to a hospital immediately upon finding that she had a fever, while her boyfriend headed for a hospital to "surrender" himself after finding that she had H1N1 flu. However, I must say that some netizens did not have the same sense. They blasted the patient for "taking H1N1 flu to Singapore". Personally, I don't think that it's her fault for being the first case. It would have come anyway, and a couple of days' difference does not help much.

I read in a newspaper that there is a case of an American man and his daughter getting poor service at a quarantine resort. The girl had had a fever and the man rushed her to a hospital. However, when she was tested H1N1 negative, they were sent to Aloha Loyang resort for quarantine. They were not issued a flu kit(thermometer, surgical mask and advisory notes) and a hospital representative had told them that there would be a nurse at the resort to take care of his daughter. When he arrived, there was no nurse and his daughter was untreated. He tried desperately to get a thermometer and had to wait 46 hours before finally getting 2 thermometers.

I am disappointed by the poor service provided to this man. If we cannot work well during a "crisis", then how are we supposed to work well in peaceful times? Luckily there was good in this. Some staff at the hotel gave things to the man and his daughter, such as milk and books. I have to thank them for being the cream of the crop, to redeem the, er, sour cream of the crop.

(Note: if you think this post is just a random mishmash of things marginally related to the H1N1 flu, then...well you're right. What can I say?)

No comments:

Post a Comment